Identity & Access Management Content Library
An Introduction to Authentication for Applications
The world is full of alternatives to the basic password authentication. When you are launching a new online application, service, mobile app or a connected device you need to decide how you want to capture visitors, allow them to register easily and how do you verify the identity of a returning customer. If your organisation has deployed an application where transactions are taken place, you need to consider how you are going to secure these actions and what the industry standards and regulation concerning customer authentication says.
In this whitepaper, you will learn:
- What major authentication categories are out there
- The relevance of the term “Level of Assurance” and “Authenticator Assurance Level” and how the categories map to these evaluation criteria
- Which authentication category could be useful for your new service
- Why Step-Up authentication is important
- How an Identity Provider can streamline your architecture, ease the deployment, enable cost savings and help you towards possible compliance requirements
This whitepaper is an ideal introduction on authentication categories and their suitability to different requirements. Recommended reading to anyone who wants to get more familiar with online authentication.